Saturday, October 25, 2008

Penguins

The penguins are knit and felted. Felting is a process of shrinking wool on purpose. Knit the project oversize, then wash in hot water to felt or shrink. The pattern for the penguin is from Fiber Trends. I attended a knitting retreat, my first penguin was the weekend project. Spring break 07, Nicole and I stopped by WildFibers in Mount Vernon, WA, the shop where the first penguin lives. I asked Nicole, if she would like me to knit her a penguin. Of course, she would, so she choose the traditional black with bright yellow tummy. I knit the red bag, a booga bag, also felted. She choose the red color as well. Webkinz can have purse or backpack. So, we thought it would be good for her penguin to have a bag, too.
Gary wanted a penguin, too. So, his is the black and white penguin with the scarf. Looks like I should knit another scarf, as both penguins are at our house, now.
Spring break 06, Nicole and I made 2 potholders, with the weaving frame. We also, knit a couple hats with a round knitting loom. When we picked her Dad up at work for lunch, he asked "did we finish the hat?". Nicole told her Dad, yes, it is finished, but she didn't want to wear it, as it was raining. precious, sweet thoughts.
The yarn for the hat was purchased at Wal-Mart. A couple days later, Nicole and I went to a real yarn shop. Her eyes got big and she said "Wow". Nicole picked out some yarn with a little bling for a scarf.
Keeping the knitting tradition, this spring break, I knit and stuffed a bear from chinchilla yarn. Nicole picked a blue color. Of course, the bear had to have a scarf. Good use of leftover sock yarn.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like you had a nice sunny day to take that picture.
Jeff

Shauna said...

What cute penguins!!!